Sober living programs help people transition from being part of addiction treatment programs to independent living. It’s essential to create rehab aftercare programs that help people in recovery remain sober. Going to support groups can help, but some people need more structure and accountability.
However, even being part of a sober living program can feel like a huge change from controlled and structured care—like a residential program, for example. Individuals who require sober living programs may face challenges such as the risk of relapse, inadequate support, and excessive independence. Reach out to Woodland Recovery Center at 662.222.2989 for more information about our sober living program in the Mississippi area.
What Is a Sober Living Program?
A sober living program is an in-between step between addiction treatment programs and independent living. People who have recently completed a drug or alcohol rehab program can move into sober living homes. Here, they’re surrounded by other people who are also focusing on their recovery goals in an environment that promotes sobriety.
Residents of sober living homes are under medical and staff supervision, and they share the goal of being fully independent in the world outside after proving that their recovery path is stable. They practice complete autonomy while their peers and the home’s staff keep them accountable.
Participants can stay for at least 90 days. However, most become residents for about six to nine months before going fully independent. Some may even stay for a year or longer.
Most sober living programs include:
- House manager – This person will check in with residents daily
- Guidelines and requirements – These are to maintain a desired atmosphere and a desired recovery behavior among the residents. However, it’s largely up to residents to stay compliant on their own
- Community – Everyone in a sober living home is going through the same challenges, and the understanding community created in sober living programs is a very beneficial form of support
Many sober living programs offer additional support services like helping residents apply for jobs or teaching them financial literacy.
How Does Sober Housing Help Drug Addiction Treatment?
First of all, would-be residents of any sober living home must detox and go through withdrawal symptoms. They must be working on long-term sobriety. Most sober living programs are designed to keep residents on the path to recovery by maintaining their sobriety and helping residents get used to independent life. Sober living homes prevent residents from engaging in or substituting addictions.
Common requirements for sober living program participants include:
- Going to work, school, or an outpatient program
- General acceptance by the other participants
- Having and completing household duties
- No alcohol, drugs, violence, or overnight guests
- No sexual contact or misbehavior between participants
- Participation in support group meetings
- Random alcohol and drug screenings
- Timely payment of dues, which includes rent
Failure to follow any of the rules can result in restricted living or eviction. Some zero-tolerance sober living homes will evict residents in violation of any requirement.
Do You Need Sober Living in MS?
If you’re looking for an effective step in the recovery process, sober living can be a great solution. We understand that transitioning from an addiction treatment program to independent living can be challenging—and that’s why it’s important to have the right support system in place.
Sober living programs can help people who:
- Are you transitioning from an inpatient or intensive outpatient program
- Do not have alcohol or drugs currently in their system
- Need to be held accountable in their path to recovery
- Are working towards self-sufficiency and sobriety
Becoming a resident of a sober living home isn’t for everyone, but it can help people stay sober and get ready for when they eventually live alone.
Call Woodland Recovery Center to Begin Our Sober Living Program
Woodland Recovery Center has created a sober living program to help you in your journey to long-term sobriety. We provide the structure and support needed for successful independent living. Our sober living program includes personalized care plans, individual counseling, group therapy, activities, and more.
We strive to create an environment that is supportive and inspiring. We focus on helping our patients create habits that will help them live a healthy life of sobriety. For more information about how to participate in a sober living program, contact us at 662.222.2989 today.